Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Well, I am back.

If I had to use two words to describe my trip to Alaska they would be:
Indescribable and Odyssey.

The flight to Atlanta was uneventful. But the big jet we got on in Atlanta to go west to Seattle was leaking hydraulic fluid in one of the engines. After sitting at the gate for an hour, we were told to deplane. Another plane was coming and they would clean it and that is the one that we would be on. It came, but we didn't leave Atlanta for Seattle until 8:30 instead of 4:30.

Anytime the airline agent tells you they are 'taking care of your connection' that doesn't mean they are. It means they want to make you feel like you are so you won't get off that plane and try to find another one to make your connection.

Needless to say...we didn't. Hello Seattle. That hotel made money off us. We got there at midnight their time and immediately went to bed then got up at 6 to make our flight. We figured we were there a total of 6 1/2 hours, and 6 hours and 15 minutes of that we were asleep.

But it all worked out well because I got a window seat for the flight up to Anchorage, and it was clear most of the way. There are four huge forest fires right now around Anchorage so it was very smoky once we arrived. But I got to see several HUGE glaciers from the plane. And endless 10,000 feet mountains. 100s of them. Snowcapped.

So we got to the hotel in Anchorage, and my friend that lives there came and picked me up and we went down the coast Southeast of Anchorage and drove for maybe two hours. I think the only words that came out of my mouth 'OMG' over and over. Oh, and 'stop and let's take pictures' (340 of them). I saw an Eagle hunting and riding the thermals. We went through a tunnel 2.5 miles long and came out at Prince William Sound (much much much bigger than it was made to sound after the oil spill...and no evidence at all of that). Oh...and the ICEBERG. In Portage Lake there was an iceberg floating right by the road. Just floating. Nothing like anything I have ever seen before.

Got back to the hotel at 9 their time (full sunshine), but that is one a.m. our time. I went to bed. I had work to do the next morning. Got up at 4 their time...8 our time. Got on the bus to the marathon. A sea of Purple Singlets jerseys. Team in Training by FAR the largest represented group. But there were others. The highest bib number I saw was in the 5000s. So that many people...but some were marathoners (26.2) and their start time was an hour ahead of ours.

The race was unbelievable. The course goes out by the airport and off in the distance are 10,000 feet mountains. Not one or two...dozens. Just ringing Anchorage. It was overcast, and it sprinkled at the end, but you could see the mountains. Most of the smoke was gone by then from the fires. My hard miles were 8-10. After mile ten I was fine physically.

From mile eleven on...I just cried. I wasn't upset or hurting. No blisters. My pace was fine. It was just the emotion of the whole thing. The survivors lining the route thanking us for walking, the other team members cheering us on. The fact that anything after 11 was a personal best. Everything that has happened in the past year. I couldn't hold it in. My coach Carole met me at the end and we walked across the finish line together. I just bawled. And she put my medal on me.

After that Anchorage is sort of a blur. We went to the victory party. Linda and I walked around. Somehow I slept. Sometime Sunday I got on the plane to come home and Seattle as a destination wasn't kind to us on the way back either. We were coming in way too fast from Anchorage...flaps weren't working somehow...and he gunned it right as we were to land and went around. I could see the runway. But we landed successfully the second time. Hour Late. But we had plenty of time to make the connection this time. And we did. And somehow I was conscious enough in Cincinnati to get on the plane home. And then we were home.

As I look back on it...I think with the exception of Maine...it was the best trip I ever took. The journey to Alaska wasn't just going to Alaska. And although I can't truly explain it...there was so much more to it. It was a plethora of things wrapped into this trip. Every one of those things were massively important. And there is much to tell...you can't remember it all.

Some things that stick out:
>>The planes will be overbooked. Count on that. At every stop they asked ppl to give up their seats.
>>I packed too much. I really want to remember that next time. Less is ALWAYS better.
>>Security is a PIA. Some airports run it faster than others. Seattle is the worst we saw. GSP the best.
>>You will run into one guy in security that is a TOTAL ASS. Anchorage.
>>You will run into one guy in security that is completely nice. Seattle.
>>Bring food for yourself. You will get nothing on the plane but crap. (already knew this, but good to be reminded)
>>Pack a change of clothing in the bag you have with you (I remembered this..and thank god when we were stuck in Seattle).
>>Planes are very cold places
>>There will be a crying baby on at least one flight (Anchorage to Seattle...poor thing was MISERABLE).
>>If you can find your way around the Atlanta airport you can master any airport in the U.S.
>>On at least one flight you will also be stuck next to an obnoxious seat mate (Anchorage to Seattle wins again).
>>The U.S. is a very big place. And very beautiful.
>>If you are nice...most of the time you can find someone to help you. This worked for us. Thanks Reggie.

I am glad to be home. The one thing that most everyone asked me before I left...are you coming back? I have to honestly say...Alaska was nice to visit but I wouldn't want to move there. What everyone in our little group said over and over was the same...If you are in Alaska...you meant to get there. It is NOT easy to get to.

Maine I might stay (this answer used to be an unequivocal yes.). Alaska...I do want to go back...but I don't want to stay.

Alaska Dawg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home