Wednesday, June 06, 2007

After the Eleven

This week’s mileage was seven miles, and it was a weird phenomenon after the eleven.

It was harder than the eleven.

I found that very surprising. I had to work over the weekend, so I planned to do my seven on Monday night after work. So I left from the parking lot, and I had a 3.5 mile route mapped. You know…get to 3.5 reverse and do the same thing.

I don’t know if it was the fact I was alone (wasn’t a problem on the eleven), or whether it had something to do with the fact that I got sick the next day (was it lurking in the shadows?), or maybe it was the time of day and the heat…but my pace was off. And it wasn’t just the time…I could tell that my stride was forced.

Now…I did it…but it took me two hours and five minutes…with two stops…one for toes and one bathroom. But the normal time for that would be about 1:50. And I could tell it was off. I didn’t feel the gliding…I felt like I had to. And I hardly ever feel that way about walking.

But that was Monday…and today is Wednesday. I took the day off yesterday because I have some sort of a stomach bug. And tonight I think that if I do walk it will be three miles or less. I am just not 100%. The stomach is bothering me…although it is better today.

I was just heartily surprised by the seven. I talked to one of my teammates about it and we wondered if it was also something about being a letdown after the eleven. Not really a letdown, but you get so psyched and prepared for the eleven because it is long mileage. So maybe the mind just wasn’t thinking correctly about the seven….which is still medium long distance.

But it’s all good. The seven is done. This week I think it is five…and I will walk that Saturday morning at the race I am volunteering at. And we leave two weeks from tomorrow for Anchorage.

Alaska. I am going to Alaska in two weeks. To walk in a half-marathon. 13.1 miles. And when I get back I am putting a 13.1 sticker on my car.

Wow…what a difference a year makes.

Alaska Dawg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home