Thursday, May 24, 2007

About The Toes

It’s only 4 weeks. A measly 28 days. 28 D-A-Y-S. I’ll be on my way to Alaska. Well…after we get 'Terrifying Saturday' out of the way this weekend.

May 26th, 2007 is our big mileage day. We are walking eleven miles. Yes…all at the same time. Starting at 7 a.m. On the same day. Continuous. Well…except for bathroom breaks.

I’m a little apprehensive.

Sure, a bunch of us went 8.5 miles with no problem this past weekend in Virginia. I don’t want to say it was easy, but I had more left when we were done. And yes…I have walked seven miles pretty regularly.

But I am nervous. I have toe issues that I hope I can keep at bay.

My regular training (look Dad…I am talking like an athlete) problem is toe issues.

Everyone on the marathon team knows about the toes. Mostly it is on the left foot…although the right foot takes its fair share of equal opportunity at times. But the left leg is far and above a problem child. And what is this problem you ask? NUMBNESS.

Ok, I know that sounds like something that shouldn’t be a problem. It goes numb…you don’t feel anything…no problem. I WISH.

My problem goes something like this. Walking along. All is well. Cross the 4.5 to 5 mile mark…WHAMMO. Numbness. And the numbness comes in the form of burning. My toes…but not the big toe…just burn. It’s sort of like when your leg goes numb and then the feeling is coming back. Instead of the pins and needles feeling…mine feels like someone is pumping lava in into my veins.

But Sheila at Fleet Feet and I have worked and worked on the problem. I bought a bigger pair of shoes. In the wide-width. We re-laced the shoe (who knew there were so many ways to lace a shoe). I was doing better. No problems on Saturday on gravel. And then I changed shoelaces on someone’s suggestion this week. And last night I was in literal tears. But it wasn’t anyone’s fault. We thought it would work. And it wasn’t Sheila…who is well-versed in my toes issues.

But trust me…these toes are extremely sensitive. They don’t like anything you do to them. So today…the old laces are back. And I am hoping for the best on Saturday. If all else fails…I have to stop and massage them every 2-3 miles. I can live with that. And plenty of Advil. And a sane pace…last night we were kind of pounding it out at 14.45-15 minute miles.

So the toes get two days off. And with that reward of vacation time they better behave on Saturday. This is our last big walk before we leave. After this we start to taper off for the weeks before the race.

And after Alaska…my goal is Kiawah in December and the Cooper River Bridge Run in March.

The toes just groaned.

Alaska Dawg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home